Wednesday 6 July 2016

Ghosts of writings past

Wow... Today I was meaning to type "hotmail.com" into the URL entry in Chrome, but instead I typed in my hotmail account (which I use for email lists, etc. to avoid spam in my personal account).  What came up as a result of the Google search was a list of websites containing fan fiction that I'd written over 15 years ago.  That's when I was a fan of a Canadian series "Little Men" inspired by the Louisa May Alcott book.  I was also a fan of "The X-files" and was a few years past my "Star Trek: The Next Generation" phase.  I wrote fan fiction - poetry and short stories - based on all these shows.

Seeing it all pop up again after all these years is a little surprising... and a little embarrassing.  But I have to say that I'm impressed by some of the stuff I wrote.  Why I never chose to write more seriously is a bit of a mystery since life always takes me back to writing, but I've never been very good at coming up with original ideas.  Even now, whether I write, work or explore my artistic talents, I do better at bringing other people's ideas to life and expanding on them than coming up with my own ideas.

Here is one of those long lost poems that popped back up.  It was a fan-fic "alphabet" challenge:

Beloved Guiding Spirit

A fortnight ago,
By the light of a silver moon
Came to me a vision:
Dancing by the forest's edge,
Ethereally aglow,
Faint traces of starlight
Ghostly passed by my window.
Had it been only a dream?
I shook myself.
Jewelled starlight appeared to guide me.
Knowing that vision calling,
Late did I steel outside,
Minding I not wake the others.
Nick appeared at my side,
Open to the spectre before us.
Plumfield was a vague moment in time,
Quietly sleeping behind us.
Rustling leaves beckoned,
Stirring the warm wind,
Taking us to a magical place
Underneath the night sky.
Visions passed before our eyes,
Wanting us to know our truth.
eXhaling, we turned to each other,
Yesterday's distances forgotten.
Zigzag courses are now set straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment